A juice cleanse, or fast, is a method where one consumes only fruit and vegetable juices to detoxify the body. Typically one would abstain from food consumption while fasting. A juice cleanse is usually done with juice produced from fresh fruits and vegetables, rather than commercially produced canned or bottled juice. A juice fast, or cleanse, can last anywhere from a day to several weeks.
Background of Treatment
- A juice cleanse might be done for a number of reasons, including spiritual or religious pursuits, a desire to lose weight or a desire to overcome an addiction or a habit.
- Fasting has been used as a cleansing ritual by many cultures since the beginning of recorded history.
- One of the earliest accounts of fasting is documented in the Old Testament in the Bible when Moses fasted for 40 days and 40 nights. Eastern and Western cultures alike have developed various traditions of fasting for purposes of spiritual enlightenment.
- Alternative practitioners promote fasting for its ability to rid the body of toxins.
- Juicing helps the body expel toxins and other waste products, but it can also have a very strong effect on the digestive system.
- Juicing is a very powerful way to cleanse the body, but it can result in extreme hunger, light-headedness and blood-sugar swings.
- Those whose health is compromised may need to consult with their doctor to be properly monitored if a long fast is undertaken.
- One may also experience constipation if using juices without fiber.
Detoxing the Mind and Body
- Someone might undergo a juice cleanse to kick-start a weight loss program or to help eliminate bad habits.
- When you eliminate chemicals and toxins from your body, you tend to feel better and more energetic.
- Everyday foods are filled with toxins and chemicals, so undergoing a juice cleanse can help your body heal.
- Juice cleansing can also help improve the quality of your skin, help regulate digestion and even help you boost your mental clarity and focus.
The Theory Behind Cleanses
- The body’s organs are designed to filter and expel waste.
- Juice cleanses are designed to give your body a much-needed break.
- Some fruits and vegetables can be powerful, so you do need to be careful of what kind of juice cleanse you undergo.
- Those who take medications or those who suffer from health ailments, such as diabetes, should always check with their doctor before undergoing a juice cleanse or fast because certain types of fruits and vegetables, such as beets, can act as powerful blood cleansers.
You Are What You Eat
- The best way to undergo a juice cleanse is to use organic fruits and vegetables, juicing them at home.
- This is the best way to ensure you are getting exactly what you want.
- You don’t necessarily have to rule out solid food while cleansing, but you may be better off if you stick with “clean foods” while undergoing a juice cleanse.
- The point of a juice cleanse is to purge harmful toxins and chemicals from your body, so staying away from processed foods and other types of junk foods while cleansing may help your body heal faster.
Although it has not been scientifically proven, without a doubt, juice cleansing can cure diseases, and it can help you improve your diet. Food is a very powerful elixir, and just as it can weigh you down, it can also help you heal. There are many benefits to a juice cleanse because it is a great way to be kind to your body and to give your body a much-needed break from the rigorous process of breaking down and digesting whole foods.