The chakras are the body’s energetic system. Many believe the chakras contain life force energy or Prana, also known as chi. The word “chakra” comes from the Sanskrit word, which means wheel. The chakras contain and process energy, and there are those who believe that illness and disease comes from blocked energy in and around the chakras.
The chakras are interconnected, and when their energy is flowing smoothly, you are healthy and balanced. If the chakras become blocked and their energy becomes stagnate, it may result in illness or disease. When your chakras are out of balance, it can have a huge impact on your emotional, mental, physical and even spiritual health.
The Seven Chakras
- The Chakra consists of seven levels that correspond to various systems of the body.
- The chakras are located in the energetic body as opposed to the physical body.
- There are seven main chakras in your body, and they are shaped like a flower or a wheel, with petals or spokes that detail their composition.
- The chakras contain and process energy in your body, and just as energy can propel you, it can also block you.
- The chakras are like spinning balls of energy within your body like a series of cogs or wheels running up and down your spine working to continuously renew your energy.
- In a well-balanced, healthy person, the chakras move and spin rapidly and smoothly, and their colors are clear and bright.
- When you are stressed, ill or mentally impaired, your chakras get stuck, and they begin to slow down or even spin too quickly.
- They can even get discolored or fragmented if you are mentally, emotionally or physically impaired.
The First Chakra – Muladhara Chakra or Base Chakra
- The first chakra is the root chakra.
- It is located at the base of the spine.
- Its color is red, and it is tied to your survival instinct and your sense of security.
- Ideally this chakra brings you health, prosperity, security and a dynamic presence.
The Second Chakra – Sacral or Svadhisthana Chakra
- The second chakra, which is related to the color orange, is located in the abdomen, lower back and sexual organs.
- It is related to the element water and has to do with your emotions and sexuality.
The Third Chakra – Manipura or Solar Plexus Chakra
- The third chakra is your power chakra.
- It rules your personal power, will and autonomy, as well as your metabolism.
- Its color is yellow, and it is located above the naval.
The Fourth Chakra – The Heart Chakra or Anahata Chakra
- The fourth chakra is the color green.
- It is located at the heart.
- It rules the emotion of love and compassion.
The Fifth Chakra – The Throat Chakra or Vishuddha Chakra
- This chakra is blue or turquoise.
- It rules communication.
- It is located at the throat.
The Sixth Chakra – The Third Eye/Brow Chakra or Ajna Chakra
- This chakra rules your intuition or psychic powers.
- It is ruled by the color indigo.
- It is located above the brows in the center of your forehead.
The Seventh Chakra – The Crown Chakra or Sahasrara Chakra
- The crown chakra is located at the top of the head.
- It is attuned to your sense of knowing and enlightenment.
- It is associated with the color white.
- You can balance the chakras by imagining a beautiful shower of light moving through your body.
- Begin by visualizing a white light streaming down from above.
- Feel this light wash over you, cleansing your aura of impurities.
- Move the light down through each of your chakras, imagining each color spinning clockwise as if a clock was face-out on your body.
- Spend time at each chakra until you feel the energy spinning freely and the colors turning bright and clear.
- When finished, let your consciousness drift and ask your mind if it has any final messages for you.
- Before you leave, be sure to close each of your chakras, so you are protected and safe.
- Mentally work your way down the body; imagine the chakras closing like a flower would close at night.
- As you return to conscious awareness, know that your energy is clean and pure.
- You can also use sound healing and musical vibration to clear the chakras.
None of us are perfect, so we all experience some kind of chakra imbalance some of the time. However, the aim of chakra healing is to get all of the chakras working and spinning smoothly and evenly, helping you to rebalance your energy.